You know those times when you just know you did something not right, if not downright foolish? Yeah, me too. So... Teaching a fusible appliqué class the steam-a-seam would not stay adhered to its paper backing enough to get the images traced on. I of course said I will just press it back on knowing I needed a pressing sheet or parchment under the fusible but instead I carefully laid it out on the ironing board and applied the heat. Now I have a 12x14 patch of fusible web quite firmly adhered to the cover. Oh well, I wanted to try making an ironing board cover anyhow.
I was pleased with how easy it actually is to make a custom cover. After removing the old, now fused, cover I laid the board face down on a length of pretty new fabric from the clearance table. If I was at home it might be a good place to use a couple yards of an old piece from my stash. I traced around the board adding 2 1/2 inches. When (note "when" not "if") I have to do it again I think I will make that 4" instead.
Cut out the cover on the traced lines and take it to your sewing machine or serger. My serger is at home waiting for service and to be relooped so I used my regular machine. Finish the edge with either a wide zig zag stitch or an edge stitch. Maybe someday I can get my edge stitch to not just roll up the edge. Anyhow I zig zagged all the way around.
Next you need to make a casing for elastic (or a piece of cord if you would rather). Fold over the finished edge enough for your elastic and stitch (straight stitch, don't forget to turn off the zig zag). Leave an opening to insert the elastic. I used 3/8" elastic because I had it laying around. I think 1/4" or 3/8" is probably a good size.
I used a safety pin to pull the elastic through the casing. I probably used about 2 yards of elastic, it will vary depending on the size of board you are covering. You need enough to hold it tight but long enough to be able to get it stretched around the board. I just pinned the 2 ends of the elastic together so I can reuse it the next time I have to make a new cover. I also put a layer of Warm Tater batting underneath. Next time I might do 2 layers.